MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: earlier version of Workbench
Posted by: Norman Gootee
Date: March 01, 2013 08:45AM

We only replace computers, in our office, when they die and most of them will probably not even accept 4gb. We only need the database to store data, we don't do much else with it. We have an application written in VB6 that we use to interface with the database and have used an Access database since 1994 with no problems. Lately we have lots of problems and suspect that we have finally pushed it beyond it's limits, so we need a database that can handle more. I suspect that the limit we have reached is the number of tables although our customer base has continued to grow each year so total number of records might also have something to do with it too. I told my boss, 10 years ago, that Access was not a database that could grow forever and encouraged him to be proactive, but he didn't want to spend the money. Now he wants to know how fast I can fix it. HaHa. Anyway we have heard a lot of good things about MySQL and we are committing to the change unless we run into something that makes it impossible. One solution we are considering is to get a new computer with lots of ram and set it up as a Linux server with the database and workbench, but since we have always been a Windows office, adding Linux just increases the learning curve. I found the archive section on MySQL.com and downloaded Workbench v5.1.18 in the hope that it would have less strenuous requirements. Could you tell me if it would work with the current datbase version or should I also get an earlier version of that also?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
February 28, 2013 11:28AM
March 01, 2013 01:36AM
Re: earlier version of Workbench
March 01, 2013 08:45AM
March 04, 2013 03:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.