MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: Viewing full error messages in complex queries?
Posted by: John Hawkinson
Date: July 09, 2015 03:15PM

Hi, Mike:

> John, have you tried using the error tooltip by
> hovering with the mouse over the marked word?

No! I was not aware that was possible!
I think that's one of the problems with tooltips as a UI element: they are incredibly hard to discover (esp. when the default tooltip delay is fairly high, as it is under OS X). They're a nice addition, but as the only way to do something, they're not great.

This is helpful to know, but I would still, say, not helpful enough. I have to
do apply both the mouse dexterity and the wait-for-tooltip processes, which I would like to avoid. Sounds like there is not a way?

I know everyone hates modal dialog, but this is one case where I would almost like to have one. (Even better would be for the server error to be prominently visible in the UI without needing the user to explicitly query it...)

> The error shown there is often more to the point than
> the generic one from the server.

Funny you should mention that. Because right now the server gives me "Server has gone away" which is pretty important info to know, whereas the tooltip on the error doesn't. [Actually, I can't figure out how to reconnect to the server now, short of restarting Workbench. If I Database > Connect to Database, it opens a new Connection tab, but queries till don't work in my old one...

Anyhow, is this an issue the development team has discussed? Is it worth
crafting a patch?

Also, another issue with the server log / Action Output window:
I'm not sure quite how to trigger it, but sometimes that window does not autoscroll to the end when I do a query, so it's hard to even know there is an error listed there.

p.s.: sorry for the delay in response; somehow the forum lost my email subscription to the thread, prob. related to moderation.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Viewing full error messages in complex queries?
July 09, 2015 03:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.