MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Re: MySQL Excel Ad-In Column Mapping Issues
Posted by: Javier Treviño
Date: April 17, 2015 09:22AM

Hi Su Laus,
First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to write all of your suggestions about MySQL for Excel. These kind of messages greatly help us address issues or implement enhancements to the product.

I will try to reply to you point by point.

a) It is the way it was designed, but a good suggestion nevertheless, we could add a default option for it.

b) When you save a manual mapping, by design it will be applied the next time you perform an append operation to that specific MySQL table. By next time it means that during the "append session" where you saved the mapping nothing will be applied. When you said the Date column was never mapped, then this means there could be a bug on the automatic mapping regarding dates... maybe you can flag a bug report at http://bugs.mysql.com about it supplying specific steps to reproduce this exact problem. Please bear in mind a bug report should contain a single bug, not a list.

c) This sounds like a bug introduced with the changes in 1.3.4, we would be greatly interested in a bug report regarding this specific issue.

d) The number of preview rows determine the rows analyzed to try to determine the type of the data in the Excel column, if the data can't be mapped correctly when the preview rows is greater than 1 it means there must be specific data that is causing the columns not to be mapped. Note that this may be expected or may be a bug, this needs to be revised to determine that. If you wish you could open a bug report about this too but you would need to provide the Excel file that we would need to use to consistently reproduce the issue.

e) I strongly believe this is not the problem and having 2 separate options would help very little with the real problems described.

f) Not sure if I am understanding this point correctly. The automatic mapping is done matching column names AND checking if the target column can store the data type of the source column, both conditions need to be satisfied not just the matching of the column names. The reason for this is very simple, if the data types do not match the MySQL Server will throw an error when the data is committed. If I am not understanding this correctly, please elaborate.

g) It can be saved, that is the purpose of the stored mappings. If this is not working for you, we need a bug report specifically about storing a mapping where you supply steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

h) If you format anything in Excel as text, it means Excel is storing internally the values as text. When MySQL for Excel attempts to detect the data type of those formatted values, it will detect it as text... that data can only be automatically mapped to text target columns. So this is totally expected and not an error.

I want to thank you again for taking the time to report this list of issues. And I know it is tempting to report every issue on a single bug since all of them seem related, but they are not. So I invite you to raise individual bug reports for each problem you strongly believe is a bug so these problems can be analyzed by us and fixed in a future version.

We can discuss further in this message thread as well until we clarify these points.

Best regards.

====================================
Javier Treviño
MySQL on Windows Team

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
April 03, 2015 01:27PM
Re: MySQL Excel Ad-In Column Mapping Issues
April 17, 2015 09:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.