MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: MySQL version control?
Posted by: STARYNKEVITCH Basile
Date: January 29, 2005 12:51AM

Sam Ghods wrote:
> The database may actually grow to several million rows. Also, doesn't dump include all the data?

Of course the dump contains all the data. Try the mysqldump command and look at its output. Read also the mysqldump man page; you might find some options useful.

> I wouldn't be able to revert back to a previous dump without losing data entered since that dump,
> right?

I'm not sure to understand what you mean here, and what you want exactly. IMHO, reverting to a previous state means obviously getting back to that state, so losing all stuff made since.

But the mysqldump output is textual, and you might use small textual tools to get the best of it, or even to process diffs, etc...

Otherwise, you might add a TIMESTAMP column, and (independently of any VC system like Subversion or CVS) issue appropriate MySQL queries to fetch/remove data inserted in a given period of time.

I am a bit confused by what you want exactly.

However, backing up your data thru mysqldump is always a good thing to do.

Regards.

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH :::: http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
January 28, 2005 02:17AM
January 28, 2005 06:07PM
Re: MySQL version control?
January 29, 2005 12:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.