MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

MySql 4.0.18 is using ALOT of swap and eventually crashing my system, why?
Posted by: Luc Levesque
Date: February 07, 2005 07:06AM

Hello,

My server running 4.0.18 crashed 3 times with out of memory errors. Since then I've been tracking the memory usage to find that the swap file usage goes up by about 5MB every night.

I have 1GB of swap and 1GB of ram so I'm surprised to see the swap going up so quick. This morning after a few weeks of monitoring and seeing the swap file grow and grow over all this time, I did a restart on MySql and the swap file usage dropped to 1MB from 100MB. This confirmed that MySql was infact holding the memory hostage. The question is why?

Is it a memory leak? Could it be my cache settings? Why is MySql slowly using more and more RAM/SWAP until the system is finally hung?

My initial though is a memory leak but I was wondering if there is a configuration in mySql which would show this behavior. Specifically, I was suspecting the caching.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySql 4.0.18 is using ALOT of swap and eventually crashing my system, why?
February 07, 2005 07:06AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.