MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: trouble optimizing query - taking much longer than expected
Posted by: Rick James
Date: November 21, 2014 10:18PM

> Weird, I responded to this some time ago and now the post is not here.

I see that sentence in the 8th post. You,you,me,you,me,you,me,SM.

> By default, however, it is capture_timestamp DESC and all dates - just as the original query I posted.

Well, nearly the original, you mean the OFFSET is initially 0?:
SELECT  u.username,
        c.computer_name,
        f.file_id, f.file_action, f.filename,
        f.capture_timestamp
    FROM  computers       AS c
    INNER JOIN  users     AS u  ON u.computer_id = c.computer_id
    INNER JOIN  file_logs AS f  ON f.user_id = u.user_id
      AND  f.capture_timestamp BETWEEN 0 AND 1415301792  -- This increases over time?
    WHERE  c.account_id = 20   -- This various with the 'user'?
      AND  c.status = 1
    ORDER BY  f.capture_timestamp DESC
    LIMIT  0, 100

What if you changed
AND f.capture_timestamp BETWEEN 0 AND 1415301792
to
AND f.capture_timestamp > UNIX_TIMESTAMP() - 86400

That would show up to 100 records in the last day. If it comes up empty, tell them there are none (or show an empty list). (Perhaps 1 day is not realistic. Suggest seeing how far back you would need to go for 5-10% of the file_log table, then use that amount instead of 86400.)

I am hoping that the EXPLAIN will reverse the order of tables, and start with file_logs. However, it would need
INDEX(capture_timestamp)

You are saying that a query like this is the most common one, so it needs to be efficient.
I'm saying that I don't know how to make it efficient, but perhaps this 'minor' modification could be efficient without messing with user expectations too much.

I am hoping the 5-10% suggestion will have it do a different, more efficient, EXPLAIN plan.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.