MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

seeking help - normalization issue ... i think
Posted by: Jeff Sabarese
Date: December 09, 2005 04:10AM

i don't think i would normally have a problem with this, but for some reason this is driving me buggy-- and i can't seem to grasp what i need to do here.

i have an existing set of Widgets. Each Widget has 8 characterists. Currently-- i'm trying to do this with One table, but i think that's my problem-- but i'm not certain.

my table has 10 fields.
field1 = auto_increment primary key (allow for new widget listings)
field2 = unique index, WidgetNameID (already populated)
fields 3 - 10 are characteristics of a Widget

app purpose:
- offer HTML form for populating widget characteristic fields.
- allow user to check for Widgets which have existing, complete, partially complete, or empty descriptions
- provide form for inserting or updating data based on state of widget characteristic fields (empty, full and correct, full and incorrect)

my confusion:
while trying to write my PHP app's logic statement for determining if the Widget's charateristic field is empty or full, i realize that the PHP function mysql_num_rows (extent of my PHP knowledge as an novice to intermediate user) will NOT work in this instance because my widgets of course have already created these rows when i populated a field w/ the list of their names.

suggestions? do you need me to explain more before you can help? thanks so much!!

-- -- -- --
Use CSS [ content:" ?? " ] for Unicode + Control Chars (e.g. newline, etc)... Gain understanding of Codepage, Charset, Encoding, Keymapping... Generate CSS and JavaScript on-the-fly with PHP... Tales from the Communications Dept @ NoviceNotes.Net

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 04:19AM by Jeff Sabarese.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
seeking help - normalization issue ... i think
December 09, 2005 04:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.