MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Selecting All of one table but ordering by another
Posted by: Derek Kaye
Date: March 06, 2008 07:03PM

Sorry if this seems a bit noobish, but it's been giving me a headache for ages.

Basically, I have two tables (that we're interested in).. let's see if I can set out a scenario that's similar, but easy to understand.

let's call the first table field_animal. This will be a count of how many of each animal is in a field (the field_id is a foreign key to another table with data about the field, but that's not of interest to us). animal_id is a foreign key to my second table, and count is the number of each animal in the field. let's have it layout out as such, with some sample data:
<pre>
+----------+-----------+-------+
| field_id | animal_id | count |
|1 |1 |7 |
|1 |2 |3 |
|2 |3 |13 |
|1 |4 |1 |
|2 |1 |6 |
</pre>

Lets also have a table with the animal names

<pre>
+-----------+-------------+
| animal_id | animal_name |
|1 |Cow |
|2 |Sheep |
|3 |Pig |
|4 |Horse |
|5 |Chicken |
</pre>

You will note that some animals appear in both fields, some in only one field, and some in neither.

What I want to do is run a query that will display all the animals, *But* Order them by how many are in field 1. E.g. in this order: Cow, Sheep, Horse, Pig, Chicken. (This is for a drop-down box on a website.)

The closest I've tried using a left join, but as soon as I say WHERE field_id=1 I would lose the sheep and chicken off my list. The only solution I have so far is 2 separate queries - one to display Cow, Sheep, Horse and the other to display Pig, Chicken.

Is there a way of doing this in one query?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Selecting All of one table but ordering by another
March 06, 2008 07:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.