MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Optimize complex query with arithmetic calculations
Posted by: Miguel Angel Tormo Alfaro
Date: May 31, 2005 01:41AM

Hi, I am newbie in MySQL and db operation in general, and I am trying to optimize time-consuming querys made to the same table periodically. This is the structure of the table (MyISAM):

+-----------+----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| id | int(10) unsigned | | PRI | NULL | auto_increment |
| ip_orig | char(15) | YES | | NULL | |
| ip_dest | char(15) | YES | | NULL | |
| port_orig | smallint(5) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| port_dest | smallint(5) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| fechahora | datetime | YES | | NULL | |
| enviados | int(10) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| recibidos | int(10) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| duracion | int(10) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| politica | tinyint(3) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| sentido | enum('E','S') | YES | | NULL | |

And this is a typical query to this database:

select sum(enviados*(least(120, unix_timestamp(date_add(fechahora,interval duracion second)) - unix_timestamp('2005-05-22 19:52:00')) / (duracion*120))) as envi, sum(recibidos*(least(120, unix_timestamp(date_add(fechahora,interval duracion second)) - unix_timestamp('2005-05-22 19:52:00')) / (duracion*120))) as reci, sum((enviados+recibidos)*(least(120, unix_timestamp(date_add(fechahora,interval duracion second)) - unix_timestamp('2005-05-22 19:52:00')) / (duracion*120))) as sumai from trafico2 where ( fechahora <'2005-05-22 19:52:00' and date_add(fechahora,interval duracion second)>='2005-05-22 19:52:00' and sentido='S');

These querys are normally used once with the same time interval, and performed for retrieving graphical statistics at night, so I am not interested in accumulate the calculations in a separated table as they are produced, as the server is quite charged during the day.

The thing is it needs about 3 hours to generate all the needed statistics for a whole day, and that's a lot. Possible optimizations I have thought:
- Replicate the data in a heap table, and use it to perform the daily calculations
- Use timestamp instead of datetime

Also, this table is susceptible to be queried later using similar querys but grouped by ip_orig or ip_dest, and variants, so the heap type table will not help here.

I welcome any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.