MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Trivial query takes over 10 seconds
Posted by: Jonas Jensen
Date: July 18, 2005 02:15PM

I have a performance problem that I've isolated down to the minimal query that triggers it:

SELECT device.* FROM device WHERE device.device_id IN (SELECT device_ip.device_id FROM device_ip GROUP BY device_ip.device_id HAVING COUNT(device_ip.device_id) > 1);

The purpose of the query is to find devices with more than one IP.

This query takes over 10 seconds even though the device and device_ip tables both have less than 5000 rows. There are indexes for everything, but that's beside the point, as even a full table scan should be no problem at all with so few rows.

EXPLAIN gives me:

*************************** 1. row ***************************
id: 1
select_type: PRIMARY
table: device
type: ALL
possible_keys: NULL
key: NULL
key_len: NULL
ref: NULL
rows: 4195
Extra: Using where
*************************** 2. row ***************************
id: 2
select_type: DEPENDENT SUBQUERY
table: device_ip
type: index
possible_keys: NULL
key: device_id
key_len: 4
ref: NULL
rows: 4198
Extra: Using index
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I think the problem is that it's classifying the subquery as "DEPENDENT SUBQUERY", although it's clearly independent and should be executed only once. When executed on its own, it returns 3 rows in 0.01 sec. Replacing the subquery with "IN (654, 655, 656)" makes the outer query compete in 0.01 seconds too.

Is this a MySQL optimizer bug, or am I doing something wrong? I've tried versions 5.0.4-0.beta.1mdk and 4.1.5-0.1mdk from Mandrake.

For this test case, the following equivalent query does the job in 0.01 seconds, although it's forced to do a full table scan and thousands of index lookups that the previous one shouldn't if it were properly optimized:

SELECT device.* FROM device WHERE EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM device_ip ip1, device_ip ip2 WHERE ip1.device_id=device.device_id AND ip1.device_id=ip2.device_id AND ip1.ip<>ip2.ip)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Trivial query takes over 10 seconds
July 18, 2005 02:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.