INDEX (gpsEnd),
INDEX (runTag),
INDEX (site),
INDEX (frameType),
INDEX (interferometer),
INDEX (ts),
INDEX (gpsStart,gpsEnd,frameType,site)
) TYPE=InnoDB;

I have about 14 million rows in this table. I am running on a Solaris 9 Sparc machine and am allowing 6 gigabytes of memory for innodb_buffer_pool_size. I am fairly happy with the performance of queries against this table, but I would not mind picking up even a 5% decrease in query time if it is not too much effort.

Since almost all queries against this table only involve 5 columns (gpsStart, gpsEnd, runTag, frameType, site) and the other columns are primarly there for archival purposes, I am wondering what performance gains I might expect if I split this table into two or more tables?

Specifically I am considering moving all other columns except for those important 5 (along with oid, name, and ts which need to stay) into a second table that is rarely queried against. I am asking you experts, based on your experience, what type of performance gain I might expect?

My naive thinking is that by reducing the amount of data in the table that is queried the most I will pick up a performance gain. But then I think that with the indexing being used already and the fast seek times of the disk I will not see any appreciable gain.

I appreciate hearing any insights you have.

Sincerely,

Scott Koranda

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
expected gain if table split into two or more tables
August 24, 2005 07:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.