MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

scaling performance vs number of CPUs
Posted by: Scott Koranda
Date: September 23, 2005 12:02PM

Hello,

I have two large tables across which I need to do 25 queries.

Each table contains approximately 25 million rows. Each table is in a seperate database but both are InnoDB tables, and I have InnoDB configured to use a single file on disk. The tables are well indexed and I have a good amount of RAM so I configured

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 6290M

A typical query looks like this:

SELECT lfn.name FROM
LSCmetadata lfn
LEFT JOIN lrc1000.t_lfn t_lfn ON t_lfn.name = lfn.name
WHERE t_lfn.name IS NULL AND
lfn.gpsStart > 832371121 AND
lfn.gpsStart < 834790321 AND
lfn.site = 'H' AND
lfn.runTag = 'S5' AND
lfn.frameType = 'RDS_R_L3'
ORDER BY lfn.gpsStart ASC LIMIT 1000;

The other 24 queries are similar but with changes to constraints for columns site, runTag, frameType, and gpsStart.

I can post the table schemas if it would be instructive. Note that I have chosen the column types carefully and they are indexed appropriately.

I am happy with the performance of the 25 queries when I run them one after another. It takes on average 93 seconds to complete all 25 of the queries when they are run in serial one after another. During the queries a single CPU is kept pegged at 100% utilization, indicating to me that I am not suffering from any I/O issues.

I then split up the queries into two sets (13 and 12) and ran them in parallel. When running the queries in parallel two processors are kept pegged at 100% and the total time drops to approximately 70 seconds, which I am also happy about.

Next I split up the queries into three sets and ran them in parallel but to my surprise the total time now increased to 111 seconds. This time 3 CPUs were kept pegged at 100%.

With 4 CPUs the total time went up to 150 seconds.

I am surprised that the total time for the queries did not scale with the number of threads/processors.

Was my expectation that running more threads in parallel would help descrease the total time for the 25 queries unrealistic?

I would appreciate any insights people have. Please let me know what other information I might post to engage folks.

Thanks,

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
scaling performance vs number of CPUs
September 23, 2005 12:02PM
September 23, 2005 04:26PM
September 25, 2005 07:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.