MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Opteron vs. Pentium4
Posted by: Thomas Jonas
Date: October 13, 2005 11:57PM

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding a hardware platform for MySQL. We are currently running MySQL on a Pentium4 630 (3GHz, with Hyperthreading, 2MB L2 Cache) with 3GB DDR2-533 RAM in dual-channel mode. Now we are planning to invest in a real server. My personal favorites are AMD Opteron processors, and I made my boss a proposition to buy an AMD Opteron 175 (2,2GHz, Dualcore, 2x1MB L2 Cache) with 4GB DDR-400 ECC RAM. Both system will be running on SATA drives 7200rpm with 8MB cache. I promised him that this thing will be much faster than the Pentium4 we have so far.
Now to be honest I have second thoughts. Since the hardware is not bought yet, I would like to hear your opinions about those two systems. Will the Opteron system be faster despite its slower ECC-RAM? We won't have a multiuser database running with dozens of users making small queries, we mainly have large queries where the Pentium4 is calculating 30min and more. So it's all about the power of making large joins and stuff like that.
I hope you guys can ease my mind that I made the right suggestion by wanting to buy an Opteron server.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Opteron vs. Pentium4
October 13, 2005 11:57PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.