MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Slow query
Posted by: Øystein Grøvlen
Date: December 16, 2015 02:33AM

Hi Rick,

The optimization of IN-expression that I am talking about is the semijoin optimzations introduced MySQL 5.6. See:

Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/subquery-optimization.html
Blog: http://roylyseng.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/semi-join-in-mysql-56.html

The basic idea of semi-join is to convert the IN-expression into an inner join with some additional logic to remove duplicates. (Duplicates will appear when there are multiple matches in the result set of a subquery for a row of the outer query.) The main advantage of the conversion to join is that the optimizer will then be able to process the tables in any order; i.e., it is not restricted to process outer tables before the inner tables.

There are several strategies for removing duplicates. One of them, MaterializationLookup, will do as you describe and create indexed temporary tables for the query. Another one, LooseScan, will use an existing index and skip subsequent identical values to avoid duplicates.

For the queries where the result set of the subquery is much larger than the number of candidate rows from the outer query, the FirstMatch strategy will probably be used. AFAIU, this is the case with the query discussed in this thread. The FirstMatch is basically the same strategy as used pre-5.6. Hence, I do not expect performance to improve for this query if IN is used instead of EXISTS.

Øystein Grøvlen,
Senior Principal Software Engineer,
MySQL Group, Oracle,
Trondheim, Norway

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 11, 2015 01:00PM
December 11, 2015 05:00PM
December 11, 2015 06:56PM
December 12, 2015 07:34AM
December 14, 2015 02:34AM
December 15, 2015 08:48AM
December 15, 2015 10:57AM
Re: Slow query
December 16, 2015 02:33AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.