MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Index Search over 26 times slower than full table scan
Posted by: Christian Zintl
Date: June 08, 2014 09:28AM

I have a table with 83376 rows which stores events/gigs. When I try to query gigs with `gig_date` >= curdate() the query takes about 14 seconds when using the index on the `gig_date` column, but only 0.3 seconds with 'ignore index(`date`)'

Doing the same on InnoDB takes below 0.5 seconds both ways. The Optimizer on mySQL 5.6 with InnoDB decides to to a full table scan rather than index search.

The query is:
SELECT * FROM `gig` ignore index(`date`)
WHERE `gig_date` >= CURDATE() AND `location_id` IN
(SELECT `location_id` FROM `location` WHERE `city_id` IN
(SELECT `city_id` FROM `city` WHERE `name` LIKE '%Nürnberg%'))
ORDER BY `gig_date`

I tried:
SELECT * FROM `gig` force index(`date`) ... WHERE `name` ='Nürnberg'... 14 seconds.
SELECT * FROM `gig` force index(`date`)... WHERE `city_id` IN (31455,31456)) ... 10 seconds
SELECT * FROM `gig` force index(`date`) WHERE `gig_date` >= CURDATE() AND `location_id` IN (5,6......) ... 0.3 seconds

I also tried:
select g.* from gig g
join location l using(`location_id`)
join city c using(`city_id`)
where g.gig_date >= curdate() AND c.`name` LIKE '%Nürnberg%'

14 seconds

and:
select g.* from gig g ignore index(`date`)
join location l using(`location_id`)
join city c using(`city_id`)
where g.gig_date >= curdate() AND c.`name` LIKE '%Nürnberg%'

0.3 seconds

Is using an index with a "greater than" operation on a BTREE that much slower? And why? Or is that only a problem with the 'date' type?
Why is the optimizer in mySQL 5.6 smarter than in mySQL Cluster 7.3.5

I can live with the workaround of putting "igonre index" in, but stuff like that costs a lot of time to find out - and if I had not had the mySQL 5.6 as a reference, I'd probably still be searching for a solution.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Index Search over 26 times slower than full table scan
June 08, 2014 09:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.