MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: Distributed database - when will this be possible?
Posted by: Dave Graham
Date: February 14, 2006 08:53AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I had the feeling that i would have to wait for the next release of MySQL in order to leverage this functionality.

I have a few questions about the upcoming functionality, just so I can get things clear in my mind:

1) Will the final production release of 5.1 have conflict management for WAN? If not, I am assuming when a conflict occurs, then one or more records will be overwritten - will there be provision for the data in the records that are discarded to be written somewhere - either to a table or even to a file, and to have a notification sent out that a conflict has occurred so that this data is never lost & can be manually re-integrated into the database

2) What is the exact mechanism that the replication uses? For example if I have 3 WAN clusters (say cluster A, cluster B & cluster C), each having 3 physical database machines in it (so in cluster A, there will be machines A1, A2 & A3) an so on. Will there need to another machine in each cluster (say A4) which handles the replication & conflict management? Will there need to be one of these machines in all 3 WAN clusters (B4 & C4)? What happens to the replication if this machine dies? Can another machine pick up the baton and run with it? If there can only be one machine in one of the clusters that is managing the replication (say we have A4, but no C4 or B4), what happens to the replication if cluster A disappears (power failure, network failure)? I am trying to eliminate any single points of failure from the setup - i don't want it to all stop working if 1 key machine dies, or if 1 of the WAN clusters disappears from the internet.

Is there an approximate (and I'm talk broad strokes here - i.e is is weeks or months or years) for the MySQL v5.1 to go production?

Many thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Distributed database - when will this be possible?
February 14, 2006 08:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.