MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

New DBA - need some help
Posted by: Jordan Marshall
Date: January 11, 2013 09:45AM

Wondering if there is a good starting point that someone can help me with as a new DBA for MySQL. I am an experienced Oracle DBA (10 years) and was recently given control of a MySQL master-master database system that powers multiple applications and websites.

I have the basics down already, replication, backups, file structure, etc... But really need to find some good documents or websites on more backup/recovery techniques and performance tuning. I understand there are the normal documents from MySQL but are there other resources that are more concise that I can skim through in a day? Since this is not my primary job role I don't have a ton of time to devote to it.

Currently we use master-master replication and I think I have a good handle on that. We also use mysqlautobackup which seems to be working pretty well. The system is monitored by my Grid Control 12c infrustructure and I use the MySQL plugin that the Pythian group wrote, and this is where some of my questions are coming from.

I have been getting a few alerts and I don't know if I should ignore them (i.e. change the metrics in grid control) or if they are something that really needs to be tuned.

examples:
Message=The value of key_cache_disk_writes_ratio is 68.553
Message=The value of temp_disk_tables_pct is 32.804

These are the two messages that I get all the time. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
New DBA - need some help
January 11, 2013 09:45AM
January 11, 2013 10:45AM
January 12, 2013 11:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.