MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Where do I go from here - multi master replication
Posted by: Robert Gunther
Date: September 08, 2012 09:44PM

I have had two Widnows servers running in multi-master configuration for a couple of years (currently v5.1.65) and everyone seems happy.

I would like to upgrade them to v5.5 - not for any specific reason or need of new features, I just do not want to get left behind.

Assuming I should even bother with the version upgrade (I see a lot of people on here still running 5.1), how can I go about it with NO downtime?

I do use both of the masters to perform write operations and I can direct all traffic to a single master do to maintenance on the second server.

So how can I go about it? I can't seem to grasp how to setup a new machine get it involved in the replication without keeping at least one of the servers online at all times.

I thought I would add a 3rd server and do a spoke type replication but I see that is not possible.

Most recently I was thinking about:

1) Moving all SQL tasks to point to Server A
2) Setup a new server (Server C)
3) Stop replication on Server B
4) Backup and restore the entire contents of Server B onto Server C

That would allow Server A to stay online at all times, allows me to upgrade and restore the databases from Server B.

Essentially Server C would become Server B.

How will the replication status information from Server B get restored onto Server C? Is the replication point information inone of the database tables?

Is what I'm thinking the way to go or can someone spot a better way to accomplish this?

Robert G.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Where do I go from here - multi master replication
September 08, 2012 09:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.