MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Slave Binary Log Enabled Question
Posted by: Tony Trimboli
Date: February 04, 2013 12:49PM

I've recently inherited a MySQL installation that has been setup with simple Master/Slave replication. The binary log has been enabled on the slave and the person that did it of course is no longer with the company so I can't ask him why he did that.

The slave does not replicate down to another slave and there is no purge strategy implemented for the binary logs, so of course I'm seeing disk space issues. At least the relay logs are being purged.

From a best practices standpoint, does having binary logs enabled in this scenario make sense? Is there a practical use for those logs on the slave?

I can't think of a valid reason to have the logs on the slave. Seems that if you were in a restore from backup scenario, it would be better to start fresh with a snapshot from the master than to try to use those logs.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Slave Binary Log Enabled Question
February 04, 2013 12:49PM
February 05, 2013 09:57PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.