MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Re: Replication setup (for the first time)
Posted by: Ekrem Onsoy
Date: May 27, 2014 12:57AM

After asking you yesterday, I made a research and found out about information_schema of MySQL and wrote a query like yours to find out about the engines of my tables and it seems that all of them are innodb except for "mysql" system db.

As nobody would want to perform a full backup for a 500GB cluster of database, incremental seems a good was to go. I will have to learn more about the pitfalls of this method if there's any.

Although my Slave databases are read-only (I set it in the my.cnf at the Slave), after reading so many articles about MySQL's statement base replication, I can not rely on this method 100%. As my MySQL version is 5.1, I can not take advantage of Mixed Mode replication either, upgrade is not an option right now. I am trying to to myself more about the checksum options like pt-table-checksum for verification. I will also have to learn about a monitoring and alerting option in case a problem occurs in the checksum process.

I am a little bit skeptical about playing with the structure of tablespaces as it's kind of scary for now =) I have to read and play way more to feel comfortable about an operation like this as these are all Production databases.

I talked to one of my SAN colleagues about the LVM option and they do not think it's a good and cheap solution to backup databases. Also, it will be image snapshot and these kind of backups are not good solutions for Relational Databases as they may not be consistent in terms of transactions. It's risky... I will work more on xtrabackup and its incremental backup options.

Thanks for your guidance Rick!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Replication setup (for the first time)
May 27, 2014 12:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.