MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Backup

Running backup in cron without clear text pw
Posted by: Lee Murray
Date: December 11, 2012 04:53PM

I am a long time Oracle DBA just now getting involved in supporting MySQL. I am use to in the Oracle RDBMS world on Unix of being able to run RMAN backups via script in cron where connection to the database can be made via "/ as sysdba" (or more correctly "rman target /") when running under the "oracle" Unix account not requiring an embedded clear text password. With MySQL and using the standard mysqldump it appears the best one can do is put username/pw of the user used for backup in the my.cnf file under [mysqldump] and set permissions to 600 for that file. Am I missing anything? Are there other backup tool options like MEB or XtraBackup that would provide a means to not reveal a password in clear text for the backup user? What would the gurus on this forum suggest for a production system?

My first system will be fairly small single MySQL database using the MyISAM engine. It does not get used (or will not) after business hours. Thanks in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Running backup in cron without clear text pw
December 11, 2012 04:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.