MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

DB Privilege Management
Posted by: Daniel Carter
Date: February 23, 2009 06:07PM

I have a database in which I expect to eventually have millions of users. I have created views that allow the user that is currently logged in to see only his/her data from a master table I've created. I would like each user to only have rights to select/update this view but I would rather not have millions of grants (ie. millions of rows in the mysql.tables_priv table) as I believe this effects performance, particularly when starting up the database or refreshing the rights - let me know if I am wrong here. So basically I wanted to just give everyone select & update rights on the view, but I tried for hours and couldn't figure out how to do it. I read that by leaving the username blank in a grant statement the privilege(s) would apply to everyone, but this doesn't seem to work with table specific rights.

Here is an example of what I am doing and what I tried:

My table:
create table test_db.users (fname varchar(20), mi varchar(1), lname varchar(20), username varchar(25));

My view:
create view users_view as select fname, mi, lname from test_db.users where username = user();

Trying to grant access to view to all users (DOESN'T WORK):
grant select, update on test_db.users_view to ''@localhost;

Trying to grant access to entire db to all users (WORKS BUT DEFINITELY NOT WHAT I WANT):
grant select, update on test_db.* to ''@localhost;

To work around this, I thought I'd create another database and put my view in there then grant all users rights to that db:

create database public_test;

create view public_test.users_view as select fname, mi, lname from test_db.users where username = user();

grant select, update on public_test.* to ''@localhost;

My workaround does work, but I am not sure if this will affect performance or if there is an easier way. Please let me know if you can answer either of those questions. Also, is the view I have created a good way of keeping users from seeing other users' data?

As a side note, I saw a post on here in which a user said it is very unsafe to let users have direct access to the database. I just want to mention that I do not plan on doing this, I am just taking precautions in case a hacker does find his/her way into it. Let me know if there's some other preventative measure I should be taking here instead.

Thanks,
Dan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
DB Privilege Management
February 23, 2009 06:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.