MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

Connect to mysql database on Ubuntu host from windows guest
Posted by: Sri c
Date: January 03, 2014 10:41AM

I have Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and have a Windows 7 guest on (VMWare). I would like to connect to the mysql database on Ubuntu host from Windows guest.Kindly tell me how to do the same. I have tried the ODBC test connection but no success.

My current state is as below

I am able to SSH to the host IP address (given against the vmnet1 - output of ifconfig command on Ubuntu) and ping from Windows to Ubuntu host by giving Ubuntu machine name.
I understand that I need to comment the bind-address parameter in my.cnf and I did the same.
Now my question:

Now, I need to execute a statement in mysql server something similar to GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON . TO username@address IDENTIFIED BY password;

I am not sure what should be the value for the address as DHCP enabled on my guest (not sure what IP to give if I need to change this to a fixed IP)

Apart from this I also would like to know what is the approach for setting up a firewall for mysql server (as commented the bind-address) any gui tools for this with out causing any additional problems?
Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Connect to mysql database on Ubuntu host from windows guest
January 03, 2014 10:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.