MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

remote access to mysql database
Posted by: Jim Donnell
Date: May 24, 2006 10:37PM

I'm trying to set up a development environment on a windows XP machine where I can do Java development on the local machine using Eclipse, a local instance of a Tomcat server but access the MySQL database through the web. I've checked my GRANT tables and think they are set up correctly to allow remote access. Here's the result of a Show Grant for my username:

GRANT SELECT ON *.* TO 'username'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'encrypted password'

I can access the database (select statement) with no problem from the host on which the MySQL database is running. I take the same script (PHP in this case) and try it from another server and it takes forever and then doesn't return anything. From Java I get a ConnectException: Connection timed out exception. (Actually it's a com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException) but ultimately I think it is due to a time-out.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.