Restoring from a .sql file
Posted by: Brett Littrell
Date: August 04, 2005 03:17PM

Hi All

I have posted int he Gui Administrator forum about restoring a .sql backup file from the GUI Admin and how it slows down to the point of taking possibly weeks to restore a DB that only took minutes to backup.

What my question for this forum is 1: Is there something on the Server side to speed the restoration up? 2: Is there any other way to restore the backup that is faster then running it through the the Gui Admin?

The DB we have has the basic setup with params, I tried changing some tosee if it would improve performance but nothing seems to work. I have tried restoring to Mysql running on our linux server and even installed one on my workstions and tried from there, Windows XP. Both slow down to a crawl aroung 0.5% into the restore. We have 2 restores for 2 separate DB, one is 1.4GB and the other is 70MB, both seem to slow down right around the same Percentage, that is the 70MB slows at around 500KB and the 1.4GB slows at around 5MB.

Any help would be apreciated. We are about to dump MySQL for Sybase or Oracle if we can't get this restored.

One other thing to mention, the slow down seems to be on the client side, the processor on the Gui Admin is pegged at 100% when restoring, I am tried this from Linux and Windows and both show the same thing.

Thanks in advance:)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Restoring from a .sql file
August 04, 2005 03:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.