To Be or Not to be a MySQL DBA
Posted by: Bill Cory
Date: April 16, 2015 09:31PM

Thanks in advance to any advice you may have for my career change.

I've been an electrical engineer for many years and have decided to change careers, I was actually forced to make a change due to a death in the family.

I'm about to set off on another adventure by taking the Oracle Universities MySQL DBA course and exam. Am I going to be successful in finding work doing MySQL DBA afterward? Will the certificate open doors and where?

I enjoy web design, content management systems with MySQL as the database. Examples are Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal. Because I live in a Rural area, and don't want to move to the big city, I wish to work remotely.

I have a high speed internet connection, and great computer IT skills. Can I be a remote MySQL DBA? I know it is possible because I've spoken with some people that are doing so.

The big question right now.... would I be better off pursuing Microsoft skills learning SQL .NET asp.net visual basic, etc rather than Open Source LAMP.

Should I stay with Open Source LAMP or go with Microsoft? I really want to do remote work, with a willingness to travel when needed. I will soon be spending $2,700.00 getting a MySQL DBA certification, but wondering if this is money well spent?

I'm in a Quandary and looking for a MENTOR to discuss this with. I can give you my Skype name if you would be willing to discuss. Sorry but I only speak English. I live in Montana USA. Will to speak anytime 24/7

Thanks

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
To Be or Not to be a MySQL DBA
April 16, 2015 09:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.