Re: #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)
Posted by: Michael Felt
Date: March 19, 2006 05:41AM

When I make users I generally make two entries, and grant access to both.

One is username@'%' and the other is username@'localhost' - a hint I took from the manual when first installing mysql. If your app is not on a UNIX/Linux box, make sure localhost resolves (try ping localhost, or run script in command-line mode (learn how to run PHP e.g., from the cmd.exe window).

Further, I have noticed a change in the encryption of the passwords for USERS that have caused problems with php programs that worked fine with mysql 4.X but not in 5.X. (For these I have been creating users with no password and only GRANTING usage (e.g. SELECT) rather than 'ALL'.

Dont forget you can execute PHP programs from the command line and do a lot of connection debugging that way. My experience is once the connection can be made, the rest proceeds mainly as expected. New learning requires more time than 'known' procedures and 'tricks'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2006 05:43AM by Michael Felt.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)
March 19, 2006 05:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.