MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Can't Connect to MySQL Server on ''
Posted by: Mike Schmidt
Date: February 12, 2005 08:00PM

I am running mysql (3.23.49-log) on a debian linux machine. This computer is several years old and has been a firewall, file server, and dhcp server for some time. I believe that I'm using a default debian mysql installation, but it's possible I've tweaked something experimenting in the last year.

I am using a WinXP Professional SP2 laptop as a client using ODBC Connector 3.51.

From the debian linux machine, I can do anything I like. I can use the mysql program, GRANT new users, USE any of the few databases, SELECT VERSION(), SELECT USER(), etc.
"netstat -l | grep mysql" returns a line with the path to the mysqld.sock file.
"ps -A | grep mysql" returns 5 mysqld lines and a safe_mysqld line.
In short, everything I try locally shows that mysql is up and running beautifully.

From my WinXP client, every test in the ODBC connector results in the error "[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'debian' (10061). I've tried multiple logins, even creating new ones on the server. Nothing works. I even downloaded nmap for Windows and it reports that port 3306 is closed on the server. nmap seems to be working because it reported about a dozen ports open that I would expect to be.

I double-checked /etc/mysql/my.cnf and it lists "port = 3306" in both the [client] section and the [safe_mysqld] section. I've gone into /etc/init.d/ and done a mysql restart with the same results.

The brief summary of my problem is that mysqld is running locally, but doesn't seem to be listening for remote connections. Does anyone have an idea on how to check a linux installation of mysql to see whether it can be set to only operate locally or something? I don't know exactly how it is invoked, but seems to be done using safe_mysqld. Any tips for trouble-shooting would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Can't Connect to MySQL Server on ''
February 12, 2005 08:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.