MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

problem connecting MS access to remote MySQL data source
Posted by: Greg Kozisek
Date: June 08, 2015 01:48PM

I am on a desktop Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine. The MySQL database I am trying to connect to is on a remote virtual machine on our local network.
I have installed, in order, the MySQL 64-bit connector (5.1.13) which by default went to c:\Program Files (x86) and the MySQL 32-bit connector (5.1.13) which I forced, using custom install, to C:windows\SysWow64.
The address of the virtual machine containing the MySQL db is at say, 999.999.9.99. I can ping this address from my machine and get positive responses.
Trying to establish a connection I do this.
Run (double-click) adbcad32.exe as administrator from C:/Windows/SysWOW64/ using windows explorer.
The ODBC Data Source Administrator window opens.
I click Add and a list of drivers is displayed.
I select MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver and click finish.
The MySQL Connector/ODBC Data Source Configuration interface opens.
I enter Data Source Name and Description using whatever comes to mind - just text.
I enter the TCP/IP Server address as 999.999.9.99, the User, and the Password which work when I am using VM Sphere (by the way, a Linux VM)
Then in the Database dropdown of the MySQL configuration tool I don't see any databases listed - this is different from the other desktop in our office with which I can connect.
I click test button and error displayed is "Connection Failed: [HY000][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]Connection using old (pre-4.1.1) authentication protocol refused (clientoption 'secure_auth' enabled)
I've searched this error literally for days and none of the solutions seem to work.Please help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
problem connecting MS access to remote MySQL data source
June 08, 2015 01:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.