Re: 2.0 Connector?????
Posted by: Matt
Date: May 29, 2006 12:27PM

What they want is the GUI interface which is supported by ADO.Net 2.0 so they can build queries graphically. Also, from what I hear, there are some bugs in the current version of the connector.

So far I haven't had any problems with VB.Net 2005 and MySql Connector/Net either. I use a database abstraction layer similar to active record. However, I do not use stored procedures and some of the other more advanced features.

There are some features which are hard to implement without the 2.0 interface such as, scheduling and some master/detail queries. For these reasons, I would love to see a new version sooner than later.

Some people on this forum have been pushing a product from Core Lab called MySqlDirect.Net. I have read nearly everything about this product and was considering it as an alternative, until the Connector/Net was complete. I was excited because MySqlDirect supports SSH connections directly (using Plink for this now) and allows you to make backups and restore backups right from your application and of course it has the GUI interface we are all looking forward to.

So, I download MySqlDirect and installl it. Hmm, no GUI interface is available for me. After contacting tech support, I find out that this tool doesn't work with the VB.Net 2005 Express version. Fine, 2 days later, after installing VS.Net 2005 Standard and reinstalling MySqlDirect, a new error occurs "An unexpected error occurred in the MySQLDirect .NET Data Provider..." I just received the response to another support ticket:

"We were unable to overcome this issue for Standard Edition of Visual Studio.
It is its limitation. Please use Professional one."

To conclude, don't waste your time or money on MySqlDirect unless you have the pro version of VS.Net or the $800+ to buy it. Also, even though the current Connector/Net works fine for some of us, I can't fault the complainers since the deadline for the new 2.0 features was set around New Years. I'm sure the development team is working hard and are also feeling pressure to complete MySql Workbench and other Windows projects. I hope that the development team views the Connector/Net project as one of the most important Windows based projects on their plate. The more features available and the less bugs found in this project, MySql will surely dominate the Windows market for database solutions and make a lot of Window's developers happy.

Thanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2006 12:46PM by Matt .

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
May 23, 2006 07:57AM
May 23, 2006 04:49PM
May 23, 2006 09:36PM
May 24, 2006 03:50AM
May 24, 2006 09:37AM
Re: 2.0 Connector?????
May 29, 2006 12:27PM
January 10, 2007 05:02AM
January 10, 2007 09:54AM
January 11, 2007 11:49AM
January 11, 2007 03:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.