Re: Communications link failure due to underlying exception
Posted by: Alex S
Date: November 30, 2006 11:31PM

I think you finally hit the nail on the head. I've been looking through this issue all night, and reading this and other threads. I came to roughly the same conclusion as you just before reading your post.

It seems that CERTAIN values in the date_format() function are errroring. It's fine on MySQL 5, but breaks in MySQL 4.1. The query is fine when run manually. So, I am not sure what it is about the driver and how it interacts with MySQL 4.1.

This is most certainly a BUG. And a really lame one at that, virtually making MySQL 4.1 unusable with Java, in my opinion.

The date string I was trying for was: %W %M %e %Y %l:%i %p

I found that specifically the %W and %M cause the error. The others are just fine. WTF!? I tried this both with the 3.1 and 5.0 MySQL/J Drivers. So, it suggests it's either a bug in MySQL 4.1 or a bug in the 5.0 code that was also in the 3.1 code.

Migrating the existing system (largely in PHP) to MySQL 5 was not exactly on my plans. Bah! Anyone get specifically this error with the date strings, and resolve it with a simple configuration? Solutions where people said to catch an exception and retry it is not what I call an acceptable solution, personally. It's a hack to get around a bug.

-Alex

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
June 09, 2006 04:42AM
August 24, 2006 05:27PM
Re: Communications link failure due to underlying exception
November 30, 2006 11:31PM
July 15, 2007 04:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.