MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

"Database Error: Could not connect to MySQL”- seeking help desperately!!!
Posted by: dan ali
Date: November 27, 2008 09:10PM

Hi Guys!

I am new here and having a big problem with mysql installed on my localhost through XAMPP. I am developing my company’s website using joomla. I am no programmer that’s why I send my post here looking for solution. Hopefully all you guys with ideas/ experiences and knowledge can help me!

The Idea:
I wanted to change the “root” user. As XAMPP mentioned it’s not that secured using “root” as your username. So I went in “phpMyAdmin” try to change the “root” username in the user privilege section.

The Scenario:
1) I went in “phpMyAdmin” and go to user privileges and edit “root” privilege. I changed the password…that’s ok. But when I changed the username everything gone. It says "Cannot connect: invalid settings. " and when I access my joomla webpage (on localhost) it says “mysql database access denied”
2) So I went into “XAMPP” and there is a feature under security where you can change your “root” password. I set my new password and now I can login in phpMyAdmin.

The Problem:
I still can’t access my joomla webpage. It says "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL.” How do I this?
a) Are all the databases under that root user gone?
b) If yes can I retrieve the database and put it back? (I didn’t make a backup though)
c) Is there any alternative to it? Am i into serious trouble here...? Will there be tomorrow?:-(

Please help me as I got no clue how to solve this problem. Looking forward for your kind reply…thank you.

+DAN+

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.