MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Re: PHP extension=php_mysql.dll not loading; cannot
Posted by: Dale LeBarron
Date: August 17, 2008 07:37PM

The pros of what you and I and every other mother have been through on these excruciating learning curves:

1. Once you've spent days reading and re-reading the existing documentation for these programs and finally find the (undocumented) fixes online, you'll NEVER forget what you've learned about the programs.

2. This is probably the only gig remaining where you can actually make something out of almost nothing and at almost no cost. I spent $370 + tax on a great new compac a few months ago after a ddddd-ell spit blood (I have a discount @ work), $39 on "actual search and replace", $39 on a comprehensive zip code (available in either excel or access) program, $19 for an entire year of a massive web hosting package that includes MySQL, PHP & phpMyAdmin (it goes up to $119 a year for subsequent years) and $25 for 5 additional domain names to bring my total kingdom to 7 domains. Micro office 2003 came with the deceased dell. Gimp (which enabled me to easily produce animated gifs among countless other things) was absolutely free.

3. Apache, MySQL, PHP and phpMyAdmin were free.
A whole lot of people spent a whole lot of time working together to produce these benchmark programs and they simply handed it all to us. Amazing.

4. If it were as easy as "run program" every time, there'd be very little left for us to create. If it were that easy, it would have all been done by the time we launched our stuff. Look at how many "redirect" empty advertisement placeholder websites there are. No, not everyone is willing to go trade their time for the free tools and go through what we go through to git-'er-done. And that's a durn good thing.

I've been 4 days trying to install the most current versions of those four programs and make them work together. But I know I'll get it done within the next day. Then I can get on to the real fun. And thanks to everyone who addressed the issues here and elsewhere.

And... I tell 'em this: If you don't want to enable javascript, stay home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 03:01AM by Dale LeBarron.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
September 13, 2005 03:53AM
October 06, 2005 12:37PM
October 06, 2005 12:59PM
November 26, 2005 07:15AM
December 25, 2005 12:13PM
Re: PHP extension=php_mysql.dll not loading; cannot
August 17, 2008 07:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.