MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft SQL Server

Re: importing data from sql server
Posted by: web hostruchi
Date: August 04, 2012 03:34AM

Ever needed to import data to SQL Server from Access which needs more tweaking than the SSIS wizard will allow? Ever wondered if it can be done using T-SQL scripts?

As a professional developer, I regularly have to import data from legacy systems (Excel and Access) to SQL Server before 'go-live' for clients. Normally, this can be done using the SQL Server SSIS wizards. On the most recent occasion, I found myself needing to import data from a one-table Access system to 38 relational SQL tables. The source data was a mess and needed a lot of tidying and transformation before being imported.

With over a million rows of data (mostly stored as Access Text fields), I needed a solution which would automate the process in the easiest way possible. With this in mind, I looked to SQL scripts, whereby I could manipulate the data (i.e. replace country names with lookup codes after first inserting the country names into a countries table as a simple example), thus creating a fully relational model with the source data provided

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: importing data from sql server
August 04, 2012 03:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.