MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Re: Auto_Increment Fields in Access/mySQL linked tables won't AutoNumber
Posted by: Michael Zore
Date: September 30, 2004 05:41PM

No, the fields expect an auto-value and a variety of internal nastinesses occur, so we can't use the tables without the autonumber flag set.

Just in case you're thinking the same thing I am... Yes, the software is not very well designed, so it uses the autonumber fields in ways that make me need strong tranquilizers on a regular basis (just kidding). It's a legacy app, planned for replacement, but my task is to keep it running for another 24 months while the new requirements, design, and application are developed. I'm just looking for a way to extend its current life other than (1) rewriting the app or (2) rebuilding the NT4 / SQL 7 server its currently running on.

We've adopted mySQL for new projects and -- optimist that I am -- I thought I might be able to transport this as well. Reports and queries work normally; only that pesky, insignificant "entry" section has been a problem. Since we're trying to use the current data in the process of developing the new software, we've been trying to target new development to the mySQL end.

Our current "low-tech" answer has been to reinstall the NT4/SQL7 combo on a new box and run a program that copies the data to mySQL on a daily basis. Entry still requires the old server and status reports have to run against the on-line data, but the data warehouse concept works for most of the other output.

I was hoping that I had just missed something obvious in the migration, but I can't see anything here, hence the post. We're willing to sacrifice chickens, wear garlic around our neck for a week, or perform binary edits on files; I just have no idea of any alternatives at this point. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Auto_Increment Fields in Access/mySQL linked tables won't AutoNumber
September 30, 2004 05:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.