MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Memory Storage Engine

Btree index now huge on new system
Posted by: Jason Preuss
Date: May 05, 2011 06:21AM

Where I work we do statistical analysis on large datasets on a server with tons of RAM so I frequently use memory tables. Our old system was a Dell R900 with 128 GB of RAM running Sles 10 and Mysql 5.0. I had no problems with my 20GB memory tables and Btree indexes. We are upgrading to a Dell R910 server running sles 11 and 256 GB of ram on which I installed Mysql 5.5. Running the exact same program on the exact same data my index length exploded (10,000x bigger) filling up my memory quite quickly. I tried downgrading to mysql 5.0 and tested upgrading to 5.5 on the older machine and I get this exact same behavior with the huge btree index size. Is there some sort of setting in my.cnf or on the operating system (or anything else) that would impact this index becoming exponentially bigger? Any help would be appreciated, I have been trying to sort this out for a week and if I can't fix it our new equipment is going to end up being much slower if I have to convert to disk based tables.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Btree index now huge on new system
May 05, 2011 06:21AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.