MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Memory Storage Engine

IMDB data processing
Posted by: Christian Wallukat
Date: August 21, 2012 07:36AM

Hi all,

I need a fast processing of a small amount of data (up to 300K lines in max.).
I need to calculate durations between 2 entries in 2 different tables (1 is a filtered copy, which contains less data).

the table structure is very simple:

table a and table b looks like the following:
{
key varchar(50) <-- which is a GUID
key2 varchar(50) <-- which is a GUID
ts datetime
event varchar(50)
duration int
}

table a contains 300K rows, table b contains values from table a where a special "event" is set (lets say only 200K rows).

now I do the following to calculate the durations:

for each line in table a lookup the next entry in table b where the key2 is the same but b.ts greater a.ts. with the result table a will be updated...

To be honest nothing serious, on my win32 test-machine (shame on me) I installed mySQL and craeted the tables. For my test case I loaded the data from the file and created a small procedure to test the case.

Fist of all: I aborted the test after 3 hours (MS SQL Server does it in 2) but I think it could be OS related since I think that windows stored the mysql process memory in the pagefile (that could be the cause why the hdd led was continously flashing)...

Does anyone had realized the same ?
Is it faster on linux os or are there configuration switches which can improve this ?

If necessary I can provide the procedure and tables (and 40 MB compressed data), but for this case I think it is not necessary...

Thanks for any idea / help !

Kind regards

Christian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
IMDB data processing
August 21, 2012 07:36AM
August 24, 2012 08:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.