MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

server running with --skip-grant-tables, but I don't want it to run that way.
Posted by: Percy Kwong
Date: August 23, 2008 11:08AM

Hi, excuse the newbie question, but recently I had deleted the root user on mysql and had someone fix it for me.

The problem is now, when I log in via phpmyadmin to create a new database, the create database privilege is unavailable.

I figured it was a permission issue and I went to mysql via command line by typing:

mysql -u root -p

logged in, typed "use mysql" and then proceeded to type the following command:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* to root@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword' WITH GRANT OPTION;

unfortunately, I get the following error:

ERROR 1290 (HY000): The MySQL server is running with the --skip-grant-tables option so it cannot execute this statement

I stopped and restarted mysqld by typing '/etc/init.d/mysqld stop' then '/etc/init.d/mysqld start', but I still get the same error. What am I doing wrong?

When I type 'ps -ax |grep mysqld', It doesn't show that it's running in --skip-grant-tables mode. How do I get it out of this mode? It's drivin me nuts!

Thanks in advance.. I know I'm a newbie, but I've exhausted all of my online options and now seek help.

Cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
server running with --skip-grant-tables, but I don't want it to run that way.
August 23, 2008 11:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.