MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySQL local and remote connections via WAMP and Dreamweaver
Posted by: Josh Phillips
Date: March 17, 2009 08:27AM

Hi,

I’m very rusty on databases and trying to get back up to speed quickly.

I just installed phpMyAdmin in the WAMP package onto my local Windows machine (desktop). I also have access to a server running shopping cart software – Zen Cart - runs on PHP 5.x, which is set up with MySQL 5.x. The server is a Centos – Apache server.

I also use Dreamweaver 4 to edit my site pages, CSS, HTML etc. I just set up a site on Dreamweaver and installed the PHP files for the site. Last step, I need to connect to the store database. I am able to log on to server via putty and edit database files via CLI no problem, and sometimes I also use Navicat on my local machine to connect to the database remotely and edit database files that way – server is set up for secure connections via port 22 SSH and then through port 3306, server rejects any logins if not via SSH.

My questions are, what would be better – more secure – more stable? Downloading the entire database from server onto my local machine, make edits and upload them once done via phpMyAdmin? Or connect remotely via Dreamweaver to the live database and edit database/php files remotely? Or should I use phpMyAdmin only to edit database files, either remotely or locally?

Also, can anyone point me to documentation as to how to download/upload a MySQL database from live server to my local machine for editing in phpMyAdmin? And also how to connect remotely from local machine, to server, and edit database remotely via phpMyAdmin?

One thing I noticed about Dreamweaver 4, is that when I create the database connection, I saw no options for connecting to live server via SSH. Is Dreamweaver only set up to access files that are installed on local machine? Or If I can connect to remote MySQL databases via Dreamweaver, is it possible to SSH to a database via Dreamweaver? Or are there Dreamweaver any plug ins to do this?

Thanks for any insights.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL local and remote connections via WAMP and Dreamweaver
March 17, 2009 08:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.