MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

search optimization
Posted by: Thomas Maxwell
Date: August 06, 2010 12:42AM

Say I have one table which records the goalscorers of every team (tbl_Goalscorers):

| userid | club | team | matchid | amount_of_goals|

| 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
| 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 |
| 1 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 3 |
| 7 | 4 | 2 | 8 | 1 |

So you can see from that table that userid #1 has scored in two games (matchid 1 & 4). You can also see that userid 3 scored in the same match that userid id 1 scored in, matchid 1. Now imagine that a lot more clubs use this site and this tables has tens of thousands of records. If I wanted to find the goalscorers from Team X in Club Y, I would have to look through the whole table (tens of thousands of records) to find them.

So I was wondering whether it would be faster to make a table like above, but for every club. So every club has x amount of teams with y amount of players, so they would probably have a couple of hundred records. Searching for the goalscorers of Team X in that table (tbl_Clubname_goalscorers) would be a lot faster, wouldn't it?

I don't have any idea what MySQl regards as 'many' records (thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions, ...)? But I realize that having a couple hundred or thousand tables is probably also not very good. So I just wanted to see which of the two options would give me quicker results?

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 04:58PM by Thomas Maxwell.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
search optimization
August 06, 2010 12:42AM
August 07, 2010 11:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.