Posted by: Mel Khohniat
Date: June 27, 2011 03:43AM

Hi everyone,

My actual research field ist information extraction and I'm working on 
a let carefully say diagnosis tool for medical users. I extract 
entities like symptome, disease etc. from medical journals and want to 
put these entities in a database and implement my information system 
based on it later. I'm not quite sure which DB is the most compatible 
one for me a relational DB or a nonrelational one. Considering der following: I have a symptom 'Sharp headache' a 
matching disease for this could be 'migraine' or 'brain tumor' etc. 
In SQL I would have four tables for this scenario, two for symptoms 
and diseases and two other tables for symptoms and diseases IDs where I define the sate or level of them like 'sharp headache' or 'brain 
tumor in final stage' . 'match' stand for the entities-related 
references represented in documets :
(symptom, stage, symptom-ID)
(disease,stage, disease-ID)
(symptom-ID,disease-ID, match)
In other words I'll have many tables and lots of joins and more important the process of linking the entities-related references to
my joins will more or less be carried out outside a relational DB.
Now, is it actually possible to somehow tag a disease document with a symptom in MySQL like you do in NoSQL?

Beside linking the documents based on their entities I also want to allow the user to search (read) the text as well, if desired. Let say a user has a symptom 'diarrhea' so the system looks for documents with entities like 'EHEC' :) at this point I want to let the user (himselft) to also read in this document and findout that 'eating soybean sprouts' can be a possible cause for it. In other words, does MySQL provide full text search capabilities?

Can anyone give me a piece of advice whether to stay with SQL or use a NoSQL DB?

Thanks a lot in advance 

Mel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Need some advice on "MySQL or NoSQL?"
June 27, 2011 03:43AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.