MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySQL Customised Data Dictionary
Posted by: Peter Kaye
Date: December 29, 2012 07:07AM

I'm trying to find the best way to document an new MySQL db. I want to make use of the table and field comments fields in the DB but also to be able to add additional information which can be linked to tables and fields.

Up to now I've cut and pasted the data dictionary print into Excel. But I've explored the information_schema database and located the Tables and Columns tables which provide the information for the data dictionary report. But I have no rights to create views or update data in the information_schema db and when I link via ODBC to the information_schema not only am I prevented from changing data ( for example adding table or field comments ) but whilst the tables table seems to provide correct read only data, the same is not so for the Columns table. Here the column_name column does not show the field name but simply repeats the primary key.

What is the best way to produce a customised data dictionary from a MySQL db ?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL Customised Data Dictionary
December 29, 2012 07:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.