MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

workbench can't connect
Posted by: Philip Thorvaldsen
Date: January 06, 2013 12:09PM

I'm not very good with linux, but I've installed MYSQL server on a fresh linux computer running Ubuntu 12.10. I used the apt-get command to get in installed. It seems to be running fine when I run some commands locally on the Ubuntu computer.

It's when I'm trying to connect to it remotely the problems starts. I'm using a windows machine with mysql Workbench running, can't connect.

What I've done this far is change the bind-address to 0.0.0.0 in etc/mysql/my.cnf It still doesn't work, but it takes longer to get a response from mysql workbench when I try to connect.

I also tried running the command;

$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:

mysql> use mysql

mysql> GRANT ALL ON *.* to root@'192.168.1.4' IDENTIFIED BY 'your-root-password';

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Which didn't seem to do any difference. I'm running out of ideas and since I'm not good with linux and mysql I hope I haven't done anything irreversible. My only experince is from MS SQL over ten years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
workbench can't connect
January 06, 2013 12:09PM
January 06, 2013 04:28PM
January 07, 2013 02:29PM
January 07, 2013 04:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.