MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

where is it and how to move it
Posted by: Loretta Liefveld
Date: November 18, 2022 11:04AM

I feel so stupid. For my entire career before retiring, I was an IT business systems analyst and VERY technically savvy. But that was a corporate environment, where the servers were already set up and all of the overall environment was set up. I am having a terrible time setting up MYSQL the way I want it. Obviously, there's a reason I was an analyst, and not a 'systems guy'.

My environment:
- One laptop running Windows 11.
- Local Instance MySQL80
- Host: LorettasPC
- Socket: MySQL
- Port: 3306
- Version: 8.0.31
- Compiled for: Win64 (x64_64)
- Config file: C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.09.31\my.ini

According to the config file (as well as @@datadir query) the datadir path is C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\Data

I can query the database with no problem.

HOWEVER...

When I go to my Windows folders to that folder, it says it's empty. (BTW - I do have the 'hidden folders' checked).

I also have a desktop laptop running Windows 10, and I want to be able to access the same database on both laptops. I installed the same version of Workbench and Server, but the database didn't show up in Workbench. Now that I see what's in the config file, that makes sense.

I have an external hard drive where I keep everything that I want to access from both laptops.

So.....

- Since the appropriate folder is 'empty', where is the data?

- How do I get the data over to the external hard drive? Can I just simply change the datadir path in the config file and re-import the data? I guess I would have to change that in BOTH laptops.

- I have no clue 'where' the server is running. I'm sort of assuming it needs to run separately on each laptop??

If I have to uninstall everything and reinstall, that's OK, I haven't changed anything in the database. I've just been trying to get it setup, so nothing would be lost to do that.

P.S. I tried looking at 'help' and it wasn't very helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
where is it and how to move it
November 18, 2022 11:04AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.