MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: search comma separated db column
Posted by: Jesper Öhnstedt
Date: April 25, 2008 12:34PM

->Why, yes of course its wrong.<-

But we weren't discussing predefined types and the letter of the definitions.
I was commenting on your advice to redesign a database you know nothing about to a person that might take you at your words.

Further I would like you to tell me what separates a "string of ints" from a string consisting of numerals and commas? There is nothing holy about predefined datatypes.
What if he had asked about a "space separated list of strings"? Would that have been just as horrible? Could he not have asked how to search such a field? The exact same tools would be needed. A more pragmatic approach is called for here.

Telling a new user he needs to redesign his database because he has violated a basic guideline (note guideline, not rule) of database design, is mean and just not helpful. I'm new to this forum and havn't read all that much but I think you are the kind of person who posts links as answers to questions.

[edit]
If you reacted to this check out the horrendous advice I gave the guy that posted about using wildcards in IN clauses. :-) Imagine that on a large scale *shiver*
[/edit]
/Jesper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 12:42PM by Jesper Öhnstedt.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: search comma separated db column
April 25, 2008 12:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.