MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: search comma separated db column
Posted by: Jesper Öhnstedt
Date: April 29, 2008 12:53AM

Yes. As I said I agree that it's bad practice and that designing a field like that without reason is wrong. The only reasons for packing values is size or as use as a static set. Packing bitvalues together in an integer type is a very common practice.

I just resently learned of the 'GROUP_CONCAT' function that can take care of concatinating values into a structured string when you use that 'set value' in your client code. This eliminate some of the cases where I would consider this as a solution.

I appologise if I gave offense, it was not my intention. I only reacted to what I considered an unhelpful reply to a question. If this guy is stuck with a database design that implements one or more fields this way, redesigning might not be an option.

I have also noted that Peter is a valuble member of this comunity and this is the only answer he has given, that I have read, that I don't agree with. And he is obviously better at MySQL than I.

I'm sorry about the dig concerning posting links as answers. That usually is a sign of 'pomposity' of the poster. That seems not to be the case here.

/Jesper

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: search comma separated db column
April 29, 2008 12:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.