MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

How can I delete all but the top 100 rows?
Posted by: Seb Janisz
Date: June 30, 2008 02:17PM

I am using MySQL to store data for an online high score chart for a computer game. I only want to keep the top 100 scores --- everything else can be deleted. It would be a huge waste of storage space to keep every score ever submitted when I only need the top 100, so I'm trying to figure out how to delete all but the top 100 scores. Here are the queries I came up with:

DELETE FROM normalmode_scores ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 100,99999;

DELETE FROM normalmode_scores WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM normalmode_scores ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 100,99999);

Neither of these queries work. I have tried both MySQL 4.0 and MySQL 5.0. For the first one, I think it's complaining that LIMIT has two parameters, which apparently cannot be done with DELETE. For the second one, it complains that there is a LIMIT clause inside of a subquery, which apparently can't be done either.

I am at a loss for what to do next. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How can I delete all but the top 100 rows?
June 30, 2008 02:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.