MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Securing MySQL
Posted by: Robert Williams
Date: March 17, 2009 11:42AM

Rick and Jason:

Well.... Dang. I solved the problem, but I don't know what it was exactly. I uninstalled MySQL (leaving the limited Windows user account intact), then re-installed it. I believe I chose all the same options I did initially. I checked the server and it's starting under Local Service account properly again. I checked security permissions for limited user (mysql) one more time, and they are Full Control on the install folder and data folder. Then I stopped the service, reset it to start under the limited user (and made sure I typed the password correctly). Applied settings. Now it restarts beautifully under the limited user.

The only big change I know happened is that originally I installed MySQL first and then set security permissions on the files. In the re-install scenario, I just uninstalled MySQL through the Control Panel and deleted all the files in the data directory. So the security permissions stayed intact on those folders. Meaning the limited user had full control over them before the new MySQL install. I can't imagine what the difference is (if any) there.

Anyway, it's working as it should have in the beginning--and I don't know what changed, other than the order in which permissions were applied. Jason, I guess you could try that and see if it works for you.

Thanks for your help.

--Robert

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
March 12, 2009 08:16PM
March 13, 2009 10:59AM
March 13, 2009 08:12PM
March 17, 2009 11:15AM
Re: Securing MySQL
March 17, 2009 11:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.