Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Problem with advance query
Posted by: Chris Preston
Date: March 19, 2009 06:41PM

Hi Peter,

> That works only if a file_number can occur with
> only one bf_date, ie in one row only.

Yes, it does and that's not news to me

It makes far more sense that a file comes in and is assigned a unique number on a given date. Ergo, a file number has one date.

It would seem quite unlikely is that the same file number gets re-used over time such that file #1 appears 100 times over a 2 year stretch. Nothing in the question actually implies such a scenario and such a file number would either be meaningless or imply that the same file is processed/loaded/whatever again and again and again and the history of this occurring is stored in each case.

My conclusion was that this is probably a history table of files that are loaded/processed wherein the query is to determine the set of files that have already been processed before today or some such and therefore, yes, each file number has one date and a simple select will suffice.

I imagine the original poster can clarify as to which it is. Care to wager on which?

kindest regards,

Chris

Peter Brawley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris,
>
> That works only if a file_number can occur with
> only one bf_date, ie in one row only.
>
> PB

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
March 18, 2009 01:45PM
Re: Problem with advance query
March 19, 2009 06:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.