MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: IMPORT TABLE INTO MySQL
Posted by: Mark Snyder
Date: April 21, 2009 08:04AM

I guess I can't believe that you can't believe... :-) It would be like a moving van full of a family's belongings showing up to a deserted lot and expecting the movers to build the house the stuff was to go into.

Another way to look at it: how smart would this 'import utility' have to be? It would have to know how to figure the maximum size for each field, which one should be the primary key, which ones could be NULL, which ones could only have a set list of values, which ones to auto increment...

I'm not sure about the free vs. pay aspect. I haven't worked with Oracle for a while; but I remember creating tables with it too. MySQL, like most open source endeavors, is geared at being a lean, efficient program. I don't think it will take you that long to sit down and determine for your 35 fields what type of data it is, what the max size should be, and develop the CREATE TABLE command required.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
April 20, 2009 10:52AM
April 20, 2009 02:56PM
April 21, 2009 09:39AM
Re: IMPORT TABLE INTO MySQL
April 21, 2009 08:04AM
April 21, 2009 07:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.